I had a quiet one last week, with my partner in crime out of
town, I kept a low profile. I ached like crazy after my leaf collecting and
have decided that this is equivalent to 3 hours of deep squats, I ached
everywhere. It didn’t stop me from going
to the gym on Monday but that was all I did.
I did order a few bits on the internet, a Kindle Paper light for Harriet’s
birthday, a new Slendertone (early birthday present from Phil) and a navy
fascinator from ebay which I need for ladies day at Ascot in June. This will be the first time I have been and I
am excited even though it is a few months away.
Tuesday was a more productive day; I popped into Newport and
managed to get 2 500 piece jigsaw puzzles for mum, there were loads of 100
piece puzzles but not very many 500’s.
Still I was lucky to find two and they were only £1 each. Bargain!
I also picked up a dress in one of the charity shops which is just perfect
for a birthday party I’ve been invited to next Month. The dress code is black and white so this
fits the bill perfectly and it was only a tenner. Another bargain.
I went to the gym, did some food shopping and was home in
time to take delivery of my new Slendertone.
It’s not very dissimilar to my old one but that is knackered after years
of abuse, the new machine is much stronger and I nearly passed out when I tried
it for the first time. It was like having contractions, only much worse. Still, if it produces results then it’s worth
it, no pain, and no gain as they say.
Before Phil got home I got the hedge trimmer out and snipped all the
branches and foliage poking in threw the fences in readiness for painting.
Phil had 2 bad nights on the trot and disturbed me; on
Monday night he picked up a rather negative email from the Police which kept him
awake all night and on Tuesday evening, he was up until all hours suffering
with acid indigestion. I eventually got
up and stayed up around 4am and was on the M1 before quarter to seven on my way
to Melton Mowbray. I had a good run and
arrived at mum’s bungalow at quarter past eight. She was surprised to see me so early, the
front door was still locked and she still had her curlers in.
I have been concerned about Phil’s mum and felt something
was wrong and I was only halfway through my first cup of tea when I found out
what the problem was. Whilst we were in
Budapest a gypsy knocked on the door and asked if she wanted her block paving
cleaned and sprayed. She said yes and 2
guys spent 4 hours supposedly cleaning.
For £400 they were meant to have sprayed weed killer and then sand
blasted. The drive does look cleaner but
only in parts and there are sand pediments every where, they also made a right
mess of the windows where they had sprayed.
Of course, mum didn’t get a receipt or a business card so we have no
recall. She had been well and truly
conned and knew she had. In the essence
of life, £400 quid and a drive that looks worse than before is no biggie, the
con could have been much worse and it is a lesson learned. The real problem though that mum had made
herself ill with the fear of telling me and Phil. I made light of it and promised to sort the drive
out if the rain didn’t sort it. I hate
people that take advantage of old people.
My first job after learning about the drive was to fill out
the Blue Badge form, this took me ages and hopefully our application will be
successful. It is a lifeline to mum
being able to park in disabled spaces, without this badge, it will be difficult
to take her shopping. Before lunch I
took mum to see the nurse to have her ring removed. She had this fitted not only to help her
prolapse but also to ease her back pain.
It hasn’t work so she decided to have it removed. We weren’t in the surgery long and were back
at the bungalow to have lunch bang on the dot of midday. So in all, a successful trip and I was back
at the flat before half four.
On Thursday I went to the gym early and then met up with Jan
at the OU. Unfortunately I had double
booked myself but that was fine, it all worked out; Jan met me a quarter of an hour
early and I had a bowl of soup and a roll with her and then met my friend Jane
at the Ship Ashore at Willen. I hadn’t
seen Jane since last July so we had much to catch up on. She looked fabulous as ever, they’ve moved into
new premises and the business is going well.
I truly was a lady that lunched that day and felt more than a little
guilty.
Phil spent all of Friday morning cooking up a big pot of his
bean curry. It seemed to take forever
and he made mess everywhere but mission accomplished and it was ready for him
to eat lunchtime. I know it’s healthy
for you but I am not so keen on it, I am more of a meat and 2 veg girlie. On Saturday morning I went to the gym and
Phil went to check on the caravans as this was the first day the site was
open. He saw Dennis next door and gave
him the okay to get the vans up and running.
There was a bit of wind/rain damage to the skirt on one of the vans and
weeds everywhere but otherwise all okay.
It was such a beautiful afternoon that I couldn’t bear to be
inside so I set about painting the garden fences whilst Phil watched the
qualifying. It was lovely to be out in
the sunshine and 4 hours of work got 6 panels painted, the garden shed and I
also got a coat of black hammerite on the steps. They look much better and I was pleased with
the fruits of my labour. It felt good to
have achieved something for once in my life.
I went to the gym on Sunday morning and just had time to get
ready for when Mike picked up at quarter past twelve. We were going to have lunch with the girls at
the Sheltered Housing but when we got there it was only Janice as Ann wasn’t
well and Pat had her family visiting. We
went to Wolverton Mill for the carvery and very nice it was too. A bit of a scrum to get a table and drinks
but very good value for £7.20. Again
another nice day and we were able to sit outside with our drinks. Janice
realised she had forgotten her purse and insisted we go back to New Bradwell
and have another drink at the New Inn.
This was fine with me but Mike was driving and I’m sure he would have
liked to have gone straight home. Phil
didn’t come out for lunch because he wanted to watch the Australian Grand Prix.
Sue got back from Southampton on Sunday afternoon so I went
round to catch up with her and Ian yesterday morning leaving Phil to get on
with paperwork. She and Ian were fine
and seemed to have had a great week in Southampton. Harriet had her operation yesterday and I was
pleased that I managed to speak to her before she went to MK General at
lunchtime. After the gym and lunch, I went with Phil to the caravan to pick up
the double bed to put in her shed and we collected post on the way back. Harriet phoned at teatime to say she had her
op, was out of recovery and back on the ward.
She sounded fine if a little tired but I won’t really know how she is
until I see her this afternoon. Fingers
crossed all went well.
No comments:
Post a Comment